It’s just a small whestTHREE Signature
Like all of the Whest Audio designs, the whestTWO.2 has been designed for use primarily for MC (moving coil) use. This means that to obtain the lowest possible noise levels and highest resolution, we recommend the use of medium to low output MC cartridges.
During its development we used the following cartridges:
Ortofon MC Anna, Denon DL 304 (0.18mv), EMT JSD6 (0.18mv), Lyra Delos (0.6mV) and the Dynavector XV1-T (0.35mV) for much of the listening tests and noise measurements.
High REZ MM
Because of the 'impressive' neutrality of the whestTHREE Signature and the smaller sibling whestTWO.2 in MC mode, we know that absolutely ANY high-end high performance MC cartridge can be used. For MM (moving magnet) use, the input capacitance has been trimmed to give the flattest response curve for many of the new breed of high-performance moving magnets and moving irons on the market today. Unheard of at this price range, the whestTWO.2 employs an 'elevated power rail' section which gives far greater dynamic performance as well as lower noise specs for 'earth shattering' micro detail resolving power. Vinyl playback never sounded so good at this price level.
For listening in MM mode we used the Ortofon 2M RED and Black, Goldring 2500, Grado Reference 1 Phono and Audio Technica AT440 MLA and AT95E, Rega Exact and the Roksan Corus Silver
Class-A output stage
Like all Whest Audio phono stages, the whestTWO.2 also employs a fully discrete transistor Class-A high output current output stage. This coupled with the high performance/ high voltage power supply will give you a level of musical performance you thought was only possible well outside this price range.
The whestTWO.2 comes as standard fitted with true balanced outputs which are fed from the output of the Class-A stage. While most manufacturers are content with using a 2.00 EUR IC chip to perform the balancing process and degrading the signal in the process, the whestTWO.2 processes the signal exactly like many high-end microphones and mixing desks...this means a perfect balanced feed if you are using long signal lines.
The whestTWO.2 is equipped with 6 resistive load and 6 gain options for maximum flexibility with the wide range of cartridges available today.
The resistive load options are 100, 220, 470, 1k, 15k and 47k ohms.
MM gain is covered by 43dB. High output MC is covered by 50dB, 55dB while the low output MC sets are 60dB, 65dB and 72dB.
The standard 'shipped' setup is 65dB/100ohms which will suite 95% of MC cartridges today. For the other 5% it is just a matter of removing 2 small M3 screws under the head unit which will give you full access to both channels load and gain switches.
The Power Supply
The high voltage power supply has been adopted and scaled down from the highly acclaimed whestTHREE Signature. The voltage rail voltages are higher than most phonostages 2-3 times its price. Why? Because if properly designed a high voltage design will translate into better dynamic contrasts, better imaging and far better noise performance. It’s good then that the power supply in the whestTWO.2 has a 12 year pedigree behind it.
The whestTWO.2 comes with its own RCA-RCA 1.2m OFC Audiophile interconnect and 3.5mm Jack to RCA interconnects for connecting to your audio system and connecting to your computer system for high resolution transfers.